While the job certainly has its perks, being an office manager isn’t always easy. There’s a lot that needs to be done to keep a business running smoothly, and it can be hard to stay on top of absolutely everything. You need to ensure all the office tools and equipment are working properly, manage work-related tasks, all the while dealing with a team of different personalities and distractions. It’s enough to make anyone’s head spin!
Fortunately, if you’ve been finding yourself a bit overwhelmed, there are some things you can do to improve your skills and keep things running smoothly. Here are 3 ways to be a better office manager.
1) Get Organized – Like Really Organized
This one seems pretty obvious, but it’s worth mentioning. As an office manager, part of your job is to keep the office organized. If you’re constantly having to hunt things down, it’s going to make your job unnecessarily harder. Check out the following tips to take your organization game to the next level!
- Get yourself a planner and start using it to keep track of deadlines, meetings, and other important events. This will help you stay on top of everything that’s going on and ensure nothing falls through the cracks.
- Create a system for filing important documents. This will help you locate things quickly and ensure nothing gets lost in the shuffle. You can even create a digital filing system to make things even easier!
- Take some time to declutter the office. This will help you focus and be more productive. Plus, it’ll make the office look a lot nicer!
2) Delegate, Delegate, Delegate
As the office manager, it’s easy to feel like you have to do everything yourself. But guess what – you don’t! One of the best ways to be a better office manager is to learn how to delegate tasks. This will help lighten your load and ensure that all the important tasks are getting done. Here are some tips for doing just that:
- Start by situating each team member’s strengths and weaknesses. Then, delegate tasks accordingly. For example, if someone is good at multitasking, give them tasks that involve working on multiple projects at once.
- Set clear instructions and expectations. Hold regular meetings to go over what needs to be done, and check in with your team to see how they’re progressing.
- Don’t forget to give credit where it’s due! When someone does a great job, be sure to let them know. This will motivate them to keep up the good work!
3) Make Room for Fun
Working in an office can be pretty stressful, which is why it’s so important to make room for some fun! This will help everyone blow off some steam and reduce stress levels. Plus, it can also be a good excuse for some team-building exercises, which can improve both morale and productivity. Here are some ideas for adding some fun to the office:
- Plan fun activities or events for the team. This could be anything from an after-work happy hour to a group trip to the zoo!
- Encourage people to decorate their desks. This will help personalize the office and make it feel a little more like home.
- Take the time to celebrate birthdays and other occasions. An office party or potluck can be a great chance to break up the workday and bring people together.
Thinking your employees may also appreciate a new snack and beverage program? Contact Office Libations today to see how we can help!